Improvements to version on dev_ver1 branch
This issue is an overview of the difficulties we found when trying to use the version of specviz in the
branch dev_ver1 in a few minimal applications that illustrate different use cases.
They are mostly related to the way some features are closely coupled with the UI used during development. Therefore, improvement would mostly come from:
- Enhancing the programming interface to provide easier access to features programmatically
- Providing documentation to such end-points
- Providing example use cases
- Current implementation only allows us to load through an json_file. Change this to allow loading a json_object instead of a file. And the developer should decide what is best for their application as long as they feed the plugin a json_object
- Split the styling in main.css into absolutely essential for the plugin and styling for the index.html (this has been the biggest bottleneck so far when trying to create a new interface as we often face conflicts with the styling set in the main.css file)
- I think we the developers should be exposed to only one higher level module. Currently For the zoom function and bounding boxes to work, the developer needs to import all those different classes. One solution would be to expose a method that create these objects.
- Move all the initialization for the audio playback from index.html into a callable function.
- Hard coded html elements in audio_player class